Monday, September 20, 2010

Paying for your raising ...


Well, there is that old saying that you pay for your raising ... whatever you did to your poor parents comes back to you as a parent - sometimes tenfold. I got to experience that again this weekend. I took the older girls to get their hair cut. Needless to say, the oldest one was not pleased with the outcome. Hannah got what she asked for - a stacked bob. I told her that it was going to be really short; she kept saying ok.
However ...
It wasn't ok. It was worse than ok. It was much, much worse in her eyes. Poor thing cried out the door, in the car and all the way to Justice, which Mommy pulled out of her bag of tricks to make it all better.
As I tried to console her (because in my view, it looked really cute and stylish on her), I flashed back to several times in my childhood/teenage years where new hairdos were met with bitter, bitter tears. My poor mother has had to endure numerous meltdowns from me and my sister regarding butchered hair. I guess it is just my turn.
Hannah accused me of just telling her that it looked good because I am her mother and I have to say these things. But, that isn't true. She really does look cute. And sporty.
And, I have never been more proud of my husband, who didn't poke fun at her or her tears, but instead showed her pics of girls with short hair, girls who play soccer. Having Daddy like it did way more for bruised egos than anything Mom could ever say.
Ahh, the joys of parenting a tween ...

No comments:

Post a Comment